All matter can be explained with our understanding of energy. Everything is energy.
For decades, a new awareness is arising: We are moving into the information society. Worldwide, the use of computers has spread. Even in Africa's rural areas, the use of smartphones has become normality. Personal computers did not exist only a few decades ago. Now, a global coverage of information systems is near. IT (information technology) is becoming the leading element in our daily lives.
Humanity has conquered IT and IT has conquered humanity. A future on Earth is a future with computers.
The digital revolution is an epic step in evolution, maybe the most significant step for thousands of years.
Philosophy has a job again: Information ethics is a burning topic. We need to define how IT treats humans.
Our common worldview is challenged again: What is more fundamental, energy or information? Is consciousness creating reality? Is god a universal energy of consciousness? Is everything made out of information? Did our ancestors anticipate the universal quality of information when they said:
In the beginning was the Word.
Let's have a closer look on the nature of information:
- A piece of information is an observable energy-pattern.
- The observer's energy reflects the observed energy pattern. Observation modifies the observer.
- Observers can observe external energy or the energy within the observer.
- The observed reflection of an energy-pattern is an energy-pattern as well. If the observer is human, we call observed information knowledge. Otherwise, we call it data.
- If knowledge is abstracted into a more general knowledge, we call it understanding. Deep understanding we call wisdom.
Energy, information, data, knowledge, understanding, and wisdom. And feeling! Deep understanding is rewarded by the brain with happiness hormones. An epiphany can lead to orgasmic feelings. Mental masturbation seems possible and even useful.
Back to the fundamental question here: What is reality made of? Information or energy? Matter or consciousness?
- Either the universe is eternal or it is limited and part of the eternal.
- If the eternal is an observer, it can only observe itself because infinity has no outside.
- Only if all eternal energy is both observer and observable, it is possible that information equals energy.
- We know that the eternal is energy but we do not know if it is observer energy. We might never know because we can neither observe the eternal from inside completely nor observe it from outside at all.
- If our universe is a limited system within the eternal, then it is possible that all universal energy is observed, part of an observer, or even created through observation.
- A cosmic observer (god) could observe a whole universe or just a few galaxies or solar systems.
- The sun itself, burning energy over billions of years, could incidentally have formed observer energy.
- Planet Earth is full of observer energy. All animals and plants obviously are capable of observing in many ways.
- Observation is found in primitive organisms already. Nature created observation because information helps (life to survive).
- All the planet as one being (Gaia theory) could have more observer energy than we recognized so far.
Some conclusions: Reality is made of energy. Some, or all, energy is information as well. We know that observations exist on planet Earth but we do not know if everything observed is just an illusion created by some god. We will never know until such a god unveils it.
If the eternal is an observer creating the illusion of reality, it still is reality because the eternal is all that exists.
Understanding yourself means understanding the eternal and vice versa. We are observers made of energy. The eternal is the only absolutely real thing without any doubt. I am personally not interested in illusions and gods between me and the eternal.
I am interested in a survival of planet Earth. I am interested in useful knowledge and wisdom. I am interested in information technology that serves people and nature.
Humanity needs IT that helps to overcome stupidity!
It is stupid not to strive for wisdom. It is stupid to help destroying someone's own home. It is stupid to let us reduce ourselves to consumers. The global dominance of destructive industries is stupid. Not living our potentials and letting us be treated like numbers is stupid.
We are observers, capable of observing useful knowledge and wisdom. We are creating realities within our minds. Observing does model the outside world within us. Each of us carries a worldview. It's stupid to live with a stupid worldview. If we do not have a holistic understanding of reality and ourselves, we are stupid beings. We are usually not fully responsible for our stupidity. A lot of media exists with the mission to leave consumers even more stupid than before.
A stupid consumer is better than a wise one, the former asks less and buys more.
Nature invented observation, brains, information, biology, and humans. Humans invented computers. Computers are doing the same as a brain, just more mechanic and primitive. Nevertheless, computers are fantastically powerful.
Computers beat humans by far in:
- Speed of calculation
- Complexity of calculation
- Exactness of calculation
- Data-storage and never forgetting
- Availability 24/7 everywhere
Computers are great tools, if they are build well and good software is running on them, offering useful applications.
Being a user of computers and computer networks must be empowering, not limiting or disrespectful. An IT that is not in the interest of humanity and life was a bad invention. Looking at violence, porn, gambling, and also looking at bad operating systems, broken standards, incompatibilities, and useless frameworks, I claim, IT needs to improve!
Here, you find information about information. Especially about good information technology that helps us to observe more and deeper wisdom. Find out about my long time project called EXALOT. Be informed and inspired!